Sunday 27 November 2011

6. Yasai salad, Asa-Kusa, Camden, NW1

Asa-Kusa is one of those restaurants that looks like a total shit-hole from the outside, but is constantly fully booked because the food is amazing and cheap.  I've introduced various people to it over the years because I like to share - except nowadays I usually can't get a table, which makes me realise that perhaps I don't like to share that much at all. 

If I were rich I'd be thin, I'm sure of it, because every day but Sundays I'd go to Asa-Kusa and eat 10 Yasai salads, and be perfectly content. 

The salad's nice enough - firm broccoli, lettuce, cucumber, (avoid the tomatoes, they're a bit flavourless and wet.)  But it's all about the dressing.  I have begged, pleaded and tried to finagle the recipe out of the woman who runs Asa-Kusa, to no avail.  All I seem to have gleaned is that it has apple in it - which is peculiar, as it tastes not a jot of apple.  It does taste of ginger and sesame and something slightly salty sweet, and is, I believe, the finest salad dressing in London.
Totally delicious.  Everything on the menu here is great - particularly the Saba No Misoni - mackerel in miso, and all the sushi.  Plus, it is cheap as chips for the quality - average spend about £14 without booze.  Inevitably it requires advanced booking, and try your hardest not to sit in the basement, as it smells of damp.

Asa-kusa, 265 Eversholt Street, 0207 388 8533

No comments:

Post a Comment